Fishroom in progress

I’m in the process of setting up my fishroom in the basement of my house.  Just recently, I finished building the shelves that will house most of my tanks.

I started with a shelf very similar to this one.  Each shelf is supposed to be rated for 2000 pounds, so I figured that would be plenty strong enough for my tanks (I’ll be lucky to fit enough tanks to weigh half that much per shelf).  It also looks good and fits well in the room.

I didn’t want to put my tanks on the wire deck that’s included with the shelving, so I took it off (except on the top level, which will just be used for storage anyway).  I’m using it in other home improvement projects, so there’s no waste.  I replaced it with DIY decking made from 3/4-inch plywood screwed onto 2×6’s.  This is probably overkill, but over-engineering is better than under-engineering, in my book. 🙂

Finally, I sheathed each wooden deck in some extra roofing felt I had lying around.  It should help protect the wood from moisture, and it roughly matches the matte black finish of the metal shelving.

A couple photos of the finished product: