I can’t take credit for much of this. The majority of the hard work was done by others, linked below. All I’ve done is simplify the process of setting this up, mostly by adding a simple GUI to the AutoHotKey script that this relies on.
The purpose of this project is really to make it easier for non-coders or hesitant coders to set this up. If you take the time to learn what you’re doing, you can probably accomplish a lot more using the original setup rather than my simplified version.
USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. I’m not a professional programmer, and I can’t vouch for the people whose work I am building on. I accept no responsibility for any consequences of using this software.
How to Install
First, download and install AutoHotKey.
Next, download and extract these files into a directory of your choice. You shouldn’t need any of the files from “Other Links and Resources” below.
How to Use
I strongly recommend watching the Video Tutorial below.
1. Download and extract the files above. It can go in any directory/folder you like, but keep everything in the same place.
2. Run OBS-macros.ahk as an administrator (right-click and choose the appropriate option).
3. When prompted, click Yes to run LuaMacros. You should get a screen that asks you to press a key on your macro keyboard. You will not be able to use this keyboard for typing!
4. To create a new hotkey, press Ctrl+Alt+Shift+N on your main (typing) keyboard. Follow the directions on the dialog box.
5. To create a new soundboard key, press Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S on your main (typing) keyboard. Follow the directions on the dialog box.
6. If you accidentally close LuaMacros, you can get it back by pressing Pause/Break on your main keyboard.
Watch the Video Tutorial for more detailed instructions.
Other Links and Resources
GitHub code for the original LuaMacros .ahk file I started with https://github.com/TaranVH/2nd-keyboard/tree/master/LUAMACROS
AutoHotKey homepage: https://www.autohotkey.com/
AHK documentation: https://www.autohotkey.com/docs/AutoHotkey.htm
Like what I’ve done here?
The video that got me started: